Monday, January 5, 2015

My Favorite Face

My Favorite Face

So I know I haven't written or posted in quite a while. These past three months have been pretty intense. Aside from "the holidays",  moving to a new city, and raising my two little girls, something else has caused me to step away from the camera, something I have yet to discuss.

The last time I posted was my Halloween post on Oct 28th.
Two days later my father passed away. 

My dad had been sick for a while with the awful and terrifying Lewy Body Disease. This sickness, in layman's terms, can best be described as a mix of Parkinson's and Alzheimer's. I'm not going to go much further than that, aside from saying that in September he was moved out to TX from NJ to be placed in a wonderful facility just minutes from my house. Thrilled about having him so close, my girls and I visited PopPop as often as possible, always with a treat in hand. (His favorite was either cookies to add to his personal cookie jar we kept hidden in his room or a Coke from McDonald's...sometimes both) The girls were my dad's biggest source of joy, and despite the awful day he might have been having, you could see his face light up from across the room when they walked through the door. He loved them almost as much as they loved him and for me, watching them interact was like seeing my childhood replayed.  When he was with them, his true self shined through.

Recently a friend encouraged me to submit to the I Heart Faces "Favorite Face of 2014" challenge. I have to admit, aside from documenting some of my family life, I haven't had a shoot or picked up my camera since October. Frankly, I just wasn't feeling up to any of it. I know it isn't what my dad would want from me and I know I need to find my motivation once again. That being said, I'm taking the nudge from my sweet friend and submitting the only face that could possibly be considered; the face I can't stop staring at, the face I'd do anything to see just one more time.

It's time to get back on the bandwagon and I can't think of a better way than with a tribute to the most amazing man that ever lived. This submission is for no other reason than to show you that I'm moving forward, Dad.  Like I promised.



This photo was taken on October 19th, less than a month after his 60th birthday.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh, Jordan. I cried as I read this. I wept for you when your Daddy passed. I am so glad you had so much time with him. I love how much he adored the girls. I love that you captured their love. You are a wonderful photographer. You inspire me every day. I love your art, but even more than that, I love your heart. I pray for you constantly as I know your heart is broken right now. God has wonderful things in store for you. Much, much love, Fan # 1.

TripMomma said...

Fabulous...I love it!

Hann144 said...

This is wonderful. You really captured a great moment here.

Tracy P. said...

I came here because of all the faces in the link up, this one grabbed me immediately--and that was without the story. I'm blown away by the beauty of the interaction, and also the devastation of your loss. Praying for healing and courage for you.

Pamela said...

This picture caught my eye immediately, but wow, your story makes it that much more powerful! I hope this one is framed somewhere in your house so everyday you can look at it and smile while you think of your dad. <3

Unknown said...

Precious photo.

Unknown said...

This is absolutely, exquisitely beautiful -- the moment, the composition, the processing. . .and your words. I am so sorry that your dad died and I hope that the new year brings you and your family lots of blessings. This image just jumped out at me as I was scrolling through all of the submissions. It is simply fantastic.

Unknown said...

Beautiful!

Post a Comment

 
© JJM Photography